By Geoffrey Leech,Jan Svartvik
A Communicative Grammar of English has lengthy been verified as a grammar leading edge in process, trustworthy in assurance, and transparent in its reasons. This absolutely revised and redesigned 3rd variation offers up to date and available support to lecturers, complicated newcomers and undergraduate scholars of English. half One seems to be on the approach English grammar varies in several varieties of English, equivalent to ‘formal’ and ‘informal’, ‘spoken’ and ‘written’; half makes a speciality of the makes use of of grammar instead of on grammatical constitution and half 3 presents a convenient alphabetically prepared advisor to English grammar. a brand new workbook, The Communicative Grammar of English Workbook additionally accompanies this edition.
Read Online or Download A Communicative Grammar of English PDF
Best linguistics books
This e-book contains the 1st whole remedy of the Irish language in social context through the entire of eire, with a specific concentrate on modern society. the chances and obstacles of the craft of language making plans for the revival of the Irish language are defined and the ebook additionally situates the language factor within the context of present debates at the geography, historical past and politics of the character of Irish id.
Love and Eugenics within the past due 19th Century is an interesting, lucid, and arguable examine of the centrality of eugenic debate to the Victorians. Reappraising the operation of social and sexual energy in Victorian society and fiction, it makes an intensive contribution to English reviews, nineteenth-century and gender reviews, and the historical past of technological know-how.
The amount offers a cutting-edge assessment of key matters in moment language studying and instructing, adopting as some extent of reference either psycholinguistic and sociolinguistic views. The papers incorporated within the assortment, that have been contributed via prime experts within the box from Poland and in another country, comment on vital theoretical matters, document most up-to-date examine findings and provide guidance for lecture room perform.
This publication is the 1st entire, research-based description of the improvement, constitution, and use of Welsh English, a contact-induced number of English spoken within the British Isles. Present-day accents and dialects of Welsh English are the mixed final result of old language shift from Welsh to English, persevered bilingualism, excessive contacts among Wales and England, and multicultural immigration.
- Women, Language and Linguistics: Three American Stories from the First Half of the Twentieth Century (Routledge Studies in the History of Linguistics)
- Impoliteness in Language: Studies on its Interplay with Power in Theory and Practice (Language, Power and Social Process [LPSP])
- The Routledge Handbook of Systemic Functional Linguistics (Routledge Handbooks in Linguistics)
- The Verbal Complex in Romance: A Case Study in Grammatical Interfaces (Oxford Studies in Theoretical Linguistics)
- (Miss)verstehen per SMS: Analyse der Verständlichkeit der Kommunikation per SMS an ausgewählten Beispielen (German Edition)
- The Routledge Handbook of Discourse Analysis (Routledge Handbooks in Applied Linguistics)
Extra resources for A Communicative Grammar of English
A Communicative Grammar of English by Geoffrey Leech,Jan Svartvik